It’s time to get to the nuts and bolts on what I would say is the most important nutrient for the body.  Yes, that beautiful flowing resource, water!

We’ve all heard similar questions, “are you drinking enough water?” from our loved ones, doctors and other healthcare providers, however can we honestly say, we have a good grasp of what all this water is doing in our body?

Let’s break it down, and check out some interesting facts…

  1. Firstly, do you know that water makes up to 55-60% of our total body composition?  That equates to 41 to 49 litres of water for the average adult.
  2. The volume of our cells and body fluids is mainly water.
  3. You can go up to 8 weeks without food, but only days without water!
  4. Water is an essential macro-nutrient.  When we see the word macro, think abundance.  The body requires the nutrient in larger quantities.
  5. The body can produce around 8% of its daily needs through metabolic process, whilst the remaining 92% must be ingested via our daily beverages and foods.
  6. Even though a large amount of water is distributed and regulated within the body, water cannot be stored.
  7. This makes daily consumption of water essential for a healthy body.  Essential means, we must take this from our diet.

Ok, it’s clear our body needs a fair amount of water.  So, what are some important roles of water, that will entice us to drink more?

  • Transports nutrients around the body
  • Moistens oxygen for easier breathing
  • Cushions bones and joints
  • Absorbs shocks to joints and organs
  • Regulates body temperature
  • Removes wastes and flushes toxins
  • Prevents tissues from sticking
  • Enables cellular hydration
  • Lubricates our joints
  • Improves cell-to-cell communication
  • Maintains normal electrical properties of cells
  • Empowers the body’s natural healing process

Understanding the important roles of water can be a complete game-changer!  Not only do you start to visualise these daily tasks, you are also motivated to ensure you are getting enough.

Which brings to my next question…

water

How much water should you drink per day?  

I’m not one for counting calories, measurements or tracking weight by all means, however to get the minimal water consumption, check out this handy formula:

Kilograms (kg)  x  32.5 = ml  

Caffeine:  Add 1.5 cups

For those of us who love our coffee, tea or other caffeinated beverages, for 1 standard cup of 230ml of coffee, add an additional 1.5 cups, 345 ml of water.  Caffeine dehydrates the body, therefore ensure to top up.

  • Take into account bio-individuality, for example a professional athlete training 5-6 times per week compared to individuals training 2-3 times per week, will have different needs.
  • Electrolytes also deserve some attention.  Frequent urination can be a sign the water is flushing too quickly and looses the ability to perform.
  • Add a sprinkle of high quality sea-salt to your glass of water, which will help your body absorb this essential nutrient.  Add a slice of lemon, mint or cucumber to spice up the taste.
That’s it!  Just a quick note, before you go and chug down some water, it’s important to know our body doesn’t work like that.  Our body works best if you sip your water slowly throughout the day.  If there is a surplus of water, you are flushing away vital nutrients, which can lead to nutritional deficiencies.

PLEASE aim to consume the majority of your water throughout your morning and day.  Avoid gulping it down after dinner, because that word “sleep” is just too precious to skimp on, aim for the least distractions as possible.

Make some noise in your Community.  Ensure this life-giving resource stays protected!

The final point, which was a good enough reason to write this post, is due to a recent encounter abroad.  To my dismay, I could not locate the whereabouts of large bottles of water in an urbanised supermarket.  Eventually I was directed to the far corner of the shop, alas I found tucked away 10 bottles in the midst of a soft-drink aisle, only 10 bottles of water!  What is everyone else drinking?  I could not believe it, there was an unscene amount of other “drinks” available right next to the cashiers, which were obviously marketed towards children!

This is for the consumers that are easily led to purchase sugary drinks in replace of good old-fashioned water.

Also take a moment to consider the increasing populations that are without water…  Slight tangent.

So there you have it!  My two cents worth of coming to grips with the importance of water and it’s many roles in our body.  I hope this post was helpful, I am curious what resonates with you, and what actions will you take?  Stay tuned for more posts to come!